Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pseudolithos migiurtinus

I first saw this plant in a succulent book many years ago and thought they looked so cool and had always wanted to grow one of these. It wasn't until sometime in the late 1990's that I saw some plants offered in a mail order nursery in the USA. The price was steep! so I passed


An experienced collector friend in Thailand said this plant can be easily grown in our climate and I should buy them from other collectors in Thailand. Shortly after, I obtained a few mature plants from a local nursery. The price was still comparatively hight compare to these days. The plant in the picture is one of my first plants .





Cultivation in tropical climate of Bangkok proved easy as long as they are kept away from rain and excessive strong sunlight. I learned the hard way about these two factors! These grow at medium speed but do grow steadily. Heat is what they love, comming from hot tropical desert of Somalia. Very well draining soil is also important and I use a lot of pumice in the mix.




Seed pods were spontaneusly produced due to the ever presence of flies. Try standing next to a table full of blooming Pseudolithos on a hot day and you will have no doubt why! Germination was very fast, only after a few days from sowing. Soon I was growing many seedlings. Best sowing method is what I call "semi-baggie" method, in which seeds are sown on the surface of soaked soil mix and lightly covered with grit, then the pot is put in clear plastic bages and kept sealed until most have germinated, then the bages are opened. After a few days the bags can be removed. Seedlings should be kept moist the first few months with regular watering.

Within six months young seedlings will be ready for pricking out. Flowering can occur soon after. Occasionally you will get odd ones with double and triple heads. I have not yet produce a cristate plant, although I have seen one imported from Japan at 50000 Thai Baht!, a truely rare item. If you grow this plant near other Pseudolithos species you will get some spontaneous hybrids. I have some seedlings that are from crosses between P. migiurtinus and P. dodsoniana which show intermediate characteristics, and also grow very fast compare to both parent species, an example of hybrid vigour.


















7 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Bee! really beautiful plants!!! I love Pseudolithos too. Are you still growing them?
    Greetings from México

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Bee, Very nice pictures and plants. I have just discovered these plants and your blog is very informative. Could you help me with more information on how to grow them?
    Greetings from Malta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mr. Bee

    do you sell Pseudolithos seeds? if not do you know of any suppliers in Thailand that do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just germinated some of these. Sweet. I am trying your partial baggy method. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. picture of my new seedling
      http://mike-is-bored.blogspot.com/2012/02/pseudolithos-migiurtinus-from-seed.html

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!!! You definitely know how to grow the Pseudolithos genus. They're not the easiest to grow. I applaud your effort and success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mr Bee. Love your confidence concerning pseudolithos, most of us fail dismally. Would it be possible to buy seed from you? Would be great to get hold of miguirtinus and cubiformis.
    Keep well
    Jurgens

    ReplyDelete